The Lade was constructed mid-18th century, probably around 1772 – 1773 to supply water to the reservoir which was being constructed by John Smeaton of the site of the Battle of Kilsyth which took place in 1645. The reservoir was constructed as a supply of water to the Forth and Clyde Canal. The Lade or canal feeder extracts water from the Garrel Burn above Garrel Mill which is located on Tak-Ma-Doon Road in Kilsyth. The lade come down of the hill along the gable end of the mill and skirts the grounds of the Craig-en-Goyne Care Home then flowing through Colzium Lennox Estate and into the north west corner of Banton Loch.
There is a public footpath starting on Tak-Ma-Doon Road, Kilsyth adjacent to the entrance to Craig-en-Goyne Care Home. This path follows The Lade through an avenue of mature beech trees until it joins with Banton Loch.
Along the edge of the path there are some of the original boundary stones bearing the inscription FCN denoting Forth and Clyde Navigation Company. Very much older stones can be seen in the wooded are to the north of The Lade. These boulders are called ‘erratic boulders’ deriving from the glacial age, the time when this countryside was covered in metres thick ice.