The Curling Pond is located to the north side of the Arboretum set in a hollow of the estate encircled by an estate road with a public car park to the north.
Like many local Scottish communities who had their own curling pond Kilsyth was no different, however, this purpose-built pond is considered to be the oldest curling pond in the world. The Kilsyth Curling Pond is still in its original position though the shape may have changes over these long years. It is constructed in the form of a low dam creating a shallow pond which at the time of construction was approximately 100metre x 250metre. It is supplied with fresh water from the burns passing through Colzium Estate.
It is strongly believed that Kilsyth is the true birth place of the “roaring game” as curling was called all these years ago. The term depicts the noise the curling stone made when they were thrown up the ice. The first reference to a curling contest using stones on ice comes from Paisley Abbey record of 1541 and the word curling allegedly appears in print as far back as 1220 in Perth. In 1716 the world’s first known curling club was started in Kilsyth and is still going strong as the Kilsyth Curling Club. It apparently took over 100years for the game of curling to become regulated and the Grand Caledonian Curling Club was formed in Edinburgh in 1838.
The Curling Pond, no longer used for curling, is now a haven for wild life with its resident ducks, swans, moorhens, coots, stickleback fish, frogs and many more. A whole range of insects frequent the pond such as mayflies, dragonflies, many species of butterflies and of course the dreaded midge.
Though curling has been taking place in some form or another Kilsyth appears to be recognised as the source of modern curling.
Kilsyth Curling Club is still active and can be contacted through Kilsyth Community Council.