The Colzium Lennox Estate is located to the north of the A803 with the main entrance along the Stirling Road to the east of Kilsyth.
The original Estate of Colzium was part of the ancient Parish of Moniebrugh and also formed a part of the large Earldom of Lennox. During 1214 Maldoven, Earl of Lennox gifted extensive land in the Parish of Monieburgh and the adjacent Campsie Parish to his sister Eva as a dowry when she married Malcolm de Callandar. The estate was forfeited when the De Callandar family supported the English in the War of Independence and was gifted to Sir William Livingston a Bruce supporter who also married the De Callandar heiress. This marriage formed the famous Livingston of Callandar family. This family eventually became the Lords Livingston and Earls of Linlithgow.
In the 15th Century the Estate of Kelvesith lay west of the Garrell Burn which was at that time in Campsie Parish with the Garrell Burn forming part of the parish boundary. In the past the estate and been protected by a castle known as a motte. This type of castle was a timber palisade constructed on a mound of earth. This castle called Kelvesith was destroyed during the War of Independence and we now know the area as Balcastle. A new castle was built at Allanfauld and was again named Kelvesith.
A motte castle was also located in Colzium to the south west of the battle of Kilsyth location now called Townhead Reservoir or Banton Loch and this location is known as Castlehill. This was eventually replaced with a new stone castle just to the north of the current Colzium House. After his marriage Sir William Livingston he extended the castle and acquired a large part of Monieburgh which included Colzium. He separated his estate from Campsie Parish and added it to Monieburgh calling the whole area Kilsyth. In 1620 he formed a Burgh of Barony around houses that had established adjacent to the old Monieburgh Church and it was then called the Burgh of Kilsyth.
After a period of unrest which included the Battle of Kilsyth in 1645 at the site of the now Townhead Reservoir and the invasion of Cromwell and the families involvement in the Jacobite rising the family name came to an end 1755 as there was no further children to take the title of the Livingstone’s of Kilsyth. The government of the time took the estates and sold them to the York Buildings Company in 1716. They were then leased to Daniel Campbell of Shawfield in 1778 for a rent £500 per year. His grandson bought the property in 1782 for £22,000 and sold it the following year to Lord Edmonstone of Duntreath who built a new house in Colzium.
After the First World War the Edmonstone family started to sell of parts of the estate. In 1930 Mr W Mackay Lennox bought Colzium house and its policies and in 1937 when he retired from his position as Town Clerk with the Burgh of Kilsyth he donated the house and estate to Kilsyth Burgh in memory of his mother. The house and estate was transferred to the new local authority Cumbernauld and Kilsyth District Council who carried out various improvement and planting operations throughout the estate. In 1996 the house and estate was again transferred to the current local authority North Lanarkshire Council who manage the estate and its facilities to date.
Today the Colzium Lennox Estate is a popular location for local residents and visitors to spend a few hours enjoying what all the previous owners have created. The main Entrance to the estate is from the A803 to the east of Kilsyth and has another four entrances from adjacent roads. There are three carparks located at strategic position in the estate. The estate has many interesting features resulting from the past owners involvement: Large policies with lawns and many planted areas, Colzium House, Walled Garden, Colzium Glen, Football pitch and Model Railway, Curling Pond, Bluebell woods, Bandstand, The Lade, Ice House, Colzium Castle, Townhead Reservoir, Children’s Play area, Monument to the Battle of Kilsyth, Arboretum and the most recent addition the renovation of the Clock Theatre into a visitors centre with café and toilets.